Denver Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you or loved one has been hurt in a pedestrian accident that was someone else’s fault, get in touch with our Denver pedestrian accident lawyers today. Our Denver injury attorneys at Bryan & Terrill Law, PLLC have considerable experience handling pedestrian accident cases.
Walking is a healthy, economical, and eco-friendly activity. Unfortunately, it can also be risky in U.S. cities today. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that 5,376 pedestrians were killed and 70,000 were injured in U.S. traffic accidents in a recent year.
Choose Bryan & Terrill To Represent You after a Pedestrian Accident in Denver
- Our Denver attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
- Our attorneys have extensive trial experience in both state and federal court.
- We handle all our cases on a contingency fee basis, which means there is no cost to you unless we win your case.
What Must You Prove to Recover Compensation in a Pedestrian Accident Claim?
To establish negligence and liability for a pedestrian accident, the injured pedestrian must prove that the responsible party:
- Owed a legal duty to the pedestrian under the circumstances;
- Breached that duty through negligent actions or inaction;
- Caused the accident that injured the pedestrian; and
- Injured or harmed the pedestrian as a result.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer after a Pedestrian Accident in Denver?
Pedestrians are completely unprotected and vulnerable to serious injuries in a collision with an automobile. It is important to recover full and fair compensation. The law can be somewhat complex, and several factors can influence who is at fault in a pedestrian accident with a motor vehicle.
An experienced Denver car accident attorney can investigate your case and evaluate your claim. Our personal injury attorneys understand that drivers are responsible for obeying traffic laws and exercising reasonable care while operating a motor vehicle. When they fail to do so, they may be held liable for accidents and injuries they cause, including pedestrian accidents.
Colorado Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), there were nearly 6,000 pedestrian fatalities in the U.S. in 2017. Colorado had a pedestrian fatality rate of 1.52 per 100,000 population in 2016. This compares to New Mexico with the highest rate of 3.45 and Nebraska with the lowest rate of 0.68.
GHSA reports that 15 states had pedestrian fatality rates greater than 2.0 per 100,000 population in 2016. It is interesting to note that the states that legalized recreational marijuana between 2012 and 2016 collectively had a 16.4% increase in pedestrian fatalities during the first six months of 2017. All other states combined had a 5.8% decrease.
What Are the Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents have many causes, including non-vehicular causes, such as:
- Poor sidewalk maintenance
- Parking lot defects
- Debris on walkways
However, many pedestrian accidents are caused by negligent drivers. Common factors contributing to driver negligence in pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks
- Failure to signal when turning
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Disobeying traffic signs or signals
- Disregarding weather or traffic conditions
Get in Touch with Our Pedestrian Injury Lawyers Today
If you or your loved one has been injured as a pedestrian in Denver, the sooner you speak with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney, the better. We offer a free initial consultation at Bryan & Terrill Law, PLLC. Our Denver pedestrian injury lawyers can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be able to claim.